I.V. extension tube in flexible, transparent polyurethane tubing with Vadsite and flat clamp.
Octopus with Vadsite is a multi-purpose catheter accessory, a single lumen or multi-lumen I.V. extension tube with needleless connector(s), enabling intermittent injections or continuous infusions of fluids or medications and blood sampling depending on device variant.
The variants with anti-reflux valves negate the risk of backtracking (retrogate flow) of infusate and thus the risk of overmedication (drug overdose). It is not possible to withdraw blood/fluid via an octopus where the lumen features an anti-reflux valve.
Use with peripheral short IV cannulae, Octopus 1 and Octopus 2 have the following advantages:
- Eliminates the risk of access-associated needle-stick injury
- Reduces the risk of cannula movement in the vein causing mechanical vein irritation
- Negates the need to use the cannula injection port (non disinfectable), Vadsite is disinfectable
- Eliminates the need to use a 3-way tap to run simultaneous compatible solutions
- Provides closed system (avoiding blood reflux) when accessing the catheter
- PUR material (no PVC, DEHP-free), no leaching of plasticizers.
Octopus 3, 4 and 5 are mostly recommended for use with central venous catheters.
In this application, they have the following advantages:
- Provide closed, neelde-free access during drug bolusing and continuous administration of I.V. fluids
- Eliminate the need to use a 3-way tap to run 2 or more simultaneous compatible solutions
- Eliminate the risk of blood spillage
- Eliminate the risk of air embolism
- PUR material (no PVC, no DEHP), no leaching of plasticizers.